Monday, June 3, 2013

Tough Mudder!!!!

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of attending the Philadelphia Tough Mudder with some great friends!  Frank, Jake and Colin participated and their lady counterparts (Jen, Rachel and I) were there to cheer them on.  It was awesome watching them throughout the course and even better to see them cross that finish line!

I was really proud of all of the participants as this is a very difficult event to finish. If you don't know what Tough Mudder is check out at the link above.  As a brief synopsis it is a, "...10-12 mile obstacle course designed by British Special Forces to test your all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie." And test it did! The distance is difficult enough but add in the hilly terrain of Pennsylvania and 21 endurance obstacles and it is downright exhausting!!!

One of the neat features about this event is that the primary goal is to work together and finish as a team.  We definitely saw this throughout the day.  There were some participants who were solo yet other teams encouraged them and lent a hand to make sure that everyone completed the obstacles.  It was a real pleasure to witness!

I saw so many people (especially my fellow badass women) that were in such great shape they made some of the obstacles look like a walk in the park. Even more impressive were the people who were in not as great shape but were participating and finishing. You know it takes a lot to overcome that kind of mental and physical challenge. My hats off to all the runners yesterday, as I know how hot it was just walking around the course to find the best photos spots. =)

As we were watching the event I kept questioning if I could complete a race like this.  Honestly, it is not probable right now, but just watching the event has fired up my competitive yearning to accomplish something like this. So, thank you Tough Mudder participants for motivating me!  I am setting a goal to do some kind of mudder run and I will let you all know when it happens =)

Here are some shots from the day:

Before the race
 
1st Obstacle - Kiss of Mud (belly crawl through mud under barbed wire)  
 
 
10th Obstacle - Arctic Enema (jumping and swimming in ice water) 
 
 
 
11th Obstacle - Balls to the Wall
 
15th Obstacle - Hangin' Tough 
 
 
21st Obstacle - Everest (running up a greasy quarter-pipe)

 
 
 
22nd Obstacle - Electroshock Therapy (sprint through field of live wires)
  
 
 
FINISHED - WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!










 

 
 



 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment