Friday, June 7, 2013

Classes cost how much?!?!

I love to dance. I love to play soccer. I love to play softball, to run, to swim, to BodyRock. I LOVE YOGA.  Bottom line, I love to keep physically active and I am willing to try any activity once.

When I first started this blog I had an idea to try out and write about a few "unusual" forms of exercise. I think they would be great to document and a lot of fun to try. Have you ever thought about trying something like; pole dancing, aerial ribbon classes, Krav Maga, CrossFit, belly dancing, ballroom lessons (mostly tango and samba)? =) I figured I could test them out and give you the scoop!

I mean, doesn't this acrobatic pole-dancing look like fun?!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8kE3nJ_lUY

I figured I could fit them all in in the first month. But, I now realize that life is a careful balance between two things; money and time. Before I had plenty of the first and none of the second. Now I find the opposite to be true! Granted, my family is not destitute by any means, but we DO need to watch our expenses. As much as that tightens my throat in fear, it's OK. I will do SOME of the things that I want to do. Maybe not all at once, but over a period of time. =) It kind of makes each activity feel a bit more special because it is more valuable to me!

It's an amazing mental shift. You work so hard for so long and you don't think twice about paying $4 for a cup of coffee (sometimes twice a day!) or buying take out because you are too rushed and exhausted to pack your own lunch. Now that $4 coffee (i.e. my Tall-Skinny Mocha, with my name scrawled delicately across the outside) seems just a little too extravagant.

I also realize that a lot of my friends are also busy with work or kids (or both!) and/or strapped for time or money and looking for some cost-effective options themselves. Maybe I can breakdown some "exercises on a budget" for you and flavor the daily routines with Pole-Dancing or other "exotic" fitness options, from time to time. =)

Okay. So what can I do instead? I still have my gym membership. I have several parks nearby and plenty of nice weather (stay away tropical storm Andrea!) and lots of Youtube and online channels, like Thedailyhiit, offering free daily exercise programs. Honestly, I have NO excuses!!

I have always been a believer in working hard, and playing harder.  For the first time I am getting to really try out the playing part. I hope you are enjoying my blog half as much as I am enjoying sharing my days with you! =)

P.S. No nighttime snacks for 2 days. Eek!

2 comments:

  1. frank (aka your hubs) :)June 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

    I would like to experience your pole dancing first hand. Not so much the Krav Maga...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha Frank's comment above. Yes please, no thank you! :) I have found that joining a gym with many locations is great because if you can go to any of their locations the classes are different at each and you don't pay extra. Some of the prices of dance type classes are completely insane (hello rent!). Okay...much love!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete