Thursday, May 30, 2013

Oy Vey!

I was going to write about lifting today but I have to get back to the diet issue....lifting will be a topic of discussion later.....

I am in decent shape but I have never truly seen the results of all my training, even when I was working out twice a day.  Five years ago my life revolved around the gym.  It was right before my wedding and I wanted to look ripped! I definitely toned up but NOT 2 hours/day toned up, if you know what I mean.  If not, this is what I am referring to...

oh look - they took my body and put someone else's face on it ;P

As I am going down this path of self "re-discovery"I am finding eating clean a difficult lifestyle to master.  I refuse to think of it as a diet because this is a guide I plan (or would like) to sustain for the rest of my life. So for the five (or six) of you reading this blog, I am asking for some motivation from you.  I told you in the beginning this was going to be a two way street ;)

You see, I LOVE FOOD!!!  I grew up in a Latino household with a gourmet chef of a mother.  All her food was homemade but I was eating more of one food group (hello carbs) than the others.  It was not until my husband pointed out how small a quantity of veggies were on our plates during one of our evening dinners. He would joke around and say "....I will have a side of chicken with this meat....". It felt like a scene out of My Big Fat Greek wedding...."What do you mean he don't eat no meat...that's ok, I make lamb"

Its not to say that we didn't have any vegetables or fruit, it was just not ENOUGH of it.  My diet went in this order from largest quantity to smallest: Rice, beans/lentils, chicken and then a small salad or small quantity of mixed vegetables. 

Oh, let me not forget to mention that I typically ate double or triple servings on most nights (did I tell you my mom was like a gourmet chef?)! I would do a pirouette in the kitchen and become the person who had not eaten in days! Thankfully, I have been blessed with a relatively fast metabolism!

My old way of thinking was that I would workout like crazy but I refused to stop eating my favorite foods even if that meant junk food. So if I craved that bag of cheese doodles (family size) or that ramen noodle (notice how both are high in sodium - I am a saltaholic!!!), I was going to eat it! I would just combat it with more cardio. I was a true believer in this lifestyle



when the whole time I should have followed the the bottom pyramid. I was just sabatoging all the work I had put into the gym as well as my health from eating high fat processed foods. 

When I first started this blog I had planned on starting a vegan diet (topic for another day). I have definitely started eating more vegetables and fruit but I am still struggling with the cravings.  It is taking me everything not to put this computer down and get in my car to buy that bag of cheese doodles. 

In the end, I know my head is in at least the right place....now hoping that my taste buds will follow suit ASAP!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment