Friday, May 24, 2013

Working out doesn't only mean going to the gym......

I am a yogi.  I started practicing Bikram yoga in September 2010 because my sister-in-law, Robynn, dragged me to a class.  She thought I would like it because I love the heat and she knew I needed it due to my stress level.  For those of you who don’t know, Bikram yoga is a series of 26 poses and two breathing techniques in approximately 105 – 110 degree (Fahrenheit) heat for 90 minutes. 

Suffice it to say, I was cursing her (in my head) about two minutes into the class.  I felt like I was in hell!!!!!  But after the class ended I felt…..content….positively, deliciously exhausted….but overall, content.  I signed up for a monthly package and went consistently after that.  It was exactly what I needed without knowing it. What I did recognize was that I felt AAAA-MAZING after each class. So, thank you Robynn, for introducing me to such a wonderful practice!

Soon after I started, I was so excited about Bikram yoga that I convinced my husband, Frank, to go.  He was hooked from day one.  Together, we attended as many classes as possible.  We both felt so invigorated after each session!  It led us to branch out and try another style of yoga, specifically hot Vinyasa, which is different from Bikram but equally as rewarding.  Experiencing both styles was a welcomed challenge.

Along the way I made some great friends and had the pleasure of attending classes taught by some incredible teachers.  Here are a couple of incredible women who I have practiced under which made my path as a yogi such an enjoyable experience.  I recommend anyone who is in the NJ/NYC metro area who wants to experience a great class to give them a try:

Betsy Sanders
Katie Niewodowski
Val Basile Grunther - follow Val on  www.innerflameyoga.net
Amy B – follow Amy on facebook at YOGAmy
If you want to learn more about the above please let me know and I will pass it on....
To learn more about Bikram yoga see attached link Bikram Yoga

I never thought that yoga would be something that would be such a tough workout but more importantly that I would enjoy it so much!  I grew up playing a lot of high impact sports and always thought that those were the only workouts that could get me fit.  Instead, I left my comfort zone and ended up with something that was a lifestyle choice for me. I found myself talking about yoga constantly and telling first time students to come back as consistently as possible.  It would only help them grow in their practice. 

The morale of this story is to not be afraid to try new things because you may be missing out on something you love!  Part of the fun is just trying something for the first time. Find a workout that inspires you, whether it is yoga, BodyRock (thedailyhiit), running, lifting, swimming, martial arts, etc….  If you enjoy it, the feeling of completing a session will be strong motivation to get you back again! Be consistent! Dedication and consistency is what you need to continue to improve! This is true with any workout that you begin.  DO NOT GIVE UP just because you are not holding a pose or ripped in one day. 

During my “self re-discovery” I plan on trying new exercises which I will share in this blog and will be happy to discuss as well. If you have any ideas, please share them with me as I am open to trying out all different forms of exercise! I can only hope that I can motivate people reading this blog to find a workout they are as passionate about as I am practicing yoga. 

After a long hiatus, I restarted my practice on Tuesday and plan on making it consistent.  It has been difficult but I always feel leaving refreshed, relaxed but most importantly, at peace.  There is great energy in the room and I surrounded by some pretty extraordinary people.  And I continuously remind myself to keep up with my practice so I can hold that pose again.

I look like this

I aspire to get to this










Frank looks like this (I don’t know about you but I think this is pretty impressive)…..

But he aspires to get to this

Together we want to look like this

But until then we will look like this…..



1 comment:

  1. Ѵery energetic blog, I enjoyed tɦat a lot. Wіll there be a paгt 2?


    mу web-site - reading rack

    ReplyDelete