Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Words to live by: "How am I improving?"

I had a FANTASTIC holiday weekend and spent time with my hubs, my family and my friends. Mother Nature was just kind enough to bring us some sunny weather on Monday to help us really celebrate and appreciate the weekend. :)

I'll be honest, my diet only came along for part of our excursions this weekend. I have found that too much meat in my diet tends to upset my stomach, so I try to gear my daily eating towards more vegetable based proteins and greens. However, a freshly grilled burger is sometimes too enticing to pass up!

mmmmm delicious......

Sometimes, you just have to live in the moment and enjoy that treat. This is okay, too! Your diet does not exist in a single meal or a single day, but in the meal choices you make over weeks, months and years. An occasional treat will be that much more special. Don't fret over having one indulgent day or meal.  :)  In the meantime, I am going to make sure that these treats are appropriately spaced apart. 

In my "fresh start" for the week, here is a recipe that I love, is simple to make and is good for you, too!

Brocolli Salad

1head of raw broccoli diced in ½" pieces

1 carrot - shaved
¼ of a red cabbage

¼ of a red onion finely diced
handful of pine nuts or white beans (canned or cooked)

veganese (I really enjoy the grapeseed oil version) or mayo to taste
2 tablespoons of honey
4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
pinch of cayene pepper
pinch of salt
Place all ingrediants in a bowl, mix and serve. Measurements above are to taste. I tend to like my food more acidic and less creamy so I typically add more vinegar versus veganese but this is up to you. 
 
one of my favorites!
 
Lentil Terrors (aka Lentil burgers)

2 cups uncooked lentils
spices

serve on bun. :) 

JUST KIDDING  - I made these one day without cooking the lentils.  My husband and father had the pleasure of eating them.  I am lucky they did not lose any teeth.  Frank dubbed them lentil terrors after consumption

Enjoy and let me know about your progress!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment